Tuesday, July 5, 2011

seattle

I went up to Seattle for the holiday weekend to visit Eric (CC pal I drove out west with) and his family. It was a long journey, but totally worth it. I was feeling a bit burnt out at the forest after 6 weeks, and being with a family in a home somehow always makes me feel better--especially when I am missing my own home and family like crazy.

I got a ride to Portland with Ari and her friend Chelsea, who were going backpacking in Washington with another friend. Then I took the Amtrak to Seattle.
The Puget Sound from the Amtrak

I took it easy in Seattle: I went on a few runs, watched Women's World Cup, played Wii, and tagged along chores etc. We went to Boom City on the Indian Reservation to buy fireworks. It was a strange, strange place--like a farmer's market, but for every kind of firework imaginable.


I am also probably the luckiest guest ever in their household: I have had Steve's famous lemon pie twice now! It's amazing. If you think you have had really good lemon meringue pie, you're wrong. Because this is the best. No question about it.

I took the train back to Portland on the 4th, and met up with Ari and Chelsea. They got banana splits after a long weekend in the backcountry.
Then we all hopped in the car, and headed to Corvallis to spend the night at Ari's house. The Portland fireworks kaboom-ed as we drove away, and we watched in the rearview mirror.

I am switching gears this week in the forest. Instead of continuing with my high frequency sampling, I am working on a little bush-beating project to see how that method of insect sampling compares to leaf-turning sampling. I'll say more about this later. I also have to start doing a lot more work on my main project. I have about a block's worth of time left here, so I'm not too stressed, but I definitely have a lot to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment